Birthed in 1936 for St. Henry’s College in Belleville, Illinois (for a whopping $1,165.00), this Wicks Fuga-Deluxe (self contained 2/3 with 16′ Bourdon Extension) eventually migrated south the Cairo, IL and was installed in the basement chapel of St. Patrick’s R.C. Church (date unknown).
While living its best life, and being used extensively in the busy chapel, hard times have befallen it twice in recent memory. Its main chest cable sustained rodent damage and had to be replaced, and in the fall of 2021 was discovered to have suffered from water damage owed to a leaking pipe above the ceiling. This caused some damaged to wood pipes, tuning slides, and rendered most of the action incapacitated due to rust.
Upon arrival to our shop, it was discovered that felt consuming insects had also set up residence and have been enjoying quite the Valve Pad buffet. Several moths emerged from the valve pads upon the start of disassembly and escaped to safety in spite of intense swatting.
As part of this project, the following will be completed:
- General repairs to chest shell, rack and toe boards. Including replacement of all gasketing material.
- Wholesale replacement of the original 1936 action, with 219 new electric action valves.
- General necessary repairs to all metal pipework.
- Replacement of all tuning slides.
- Repair of damaged Stopped Flute pipes, and repacking as necessary (this had already been done previously).
Project Completed July 2023.